After winning the battle against acne, many find themselves with another problem — acne scars. Acne scars require different treatment and skin care than you previously employed to fight your acne.
Acne scars occur when the damage from acne has extended into the deeper layers of the skin. As a result, collagen and elastin levels are greatly diminished. Both are protein components that make youthful skin appear plump and supple.
If your face is currently riddled with acne scars, taking the following steps will help you get rid of them and improve skin texture at the same time.
- Avoid highly abrasive skin care products that tend to irritate facial skin and cause harm rather than promote healing. Read labels. You can also read online reviews or ask friends and relatives if they encountered negative reactions after using certain products.
- Look for products containing AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) or BHA (beta hydroxy acid). These ingredients help exfoliate the skin and penetrate more deeply to dissolve the clogs that are causing inflammation.
- Don’t forget the sunscreen. Unprotected UV exposure will only lead to skin discoloration and further delay skin healing.
- Consume a diet with more whole, unprocessed foods. In addition, eat foods that have high Vitamin E content, as it facilitates skin healing and renewal. These foods include sunflower seeds, avocado, almonds, spinach, and Swiss chard.
- Seek professional help! The Nowak Aesthetics team can help you create a skin care regimen, along with treatments to diminish scarring such as chemical peels and laser procedures.
Call us at (619) 420-1840 or fill out our contact form to schedule your private consultation. We look forward to your visit!