Although sclerotherapy has been around in one form or another for almost a century, the introduction of newer techniques has made it as popular as laser vein treatments. Sclerotherapy involves the injection of a sclerosing agent into the varicose or spider vein causing the vein to shrink and fade away. Generally, desired outcomes are achieved with multiple sessions spaced two to four weeks apart.
Achieving your desired results from sclerotherapy involves thorough preparation on your end. At Nowak Aesthetics, we often instruct patients to prepare for the procedure with the following steps:
- Don’t shave your legs before and after your scheduled treatment.
- Don’t use skin care products such as lotions and oils on your legs at least 24 hours before your scheduled treatment.
- You can take your regular medications or supplements the day before your sclerotherapy treatment. However, aspirin and similar NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) should not be taken as they can increase your risk for bruising. Ask your doctor about alternatives.
- Wear loose, comfortable shorts during the procedure. It is also best to take your compression stockings with you, as they will be immediately worn following treatment and in the succeeding couple of weeks.
- Long hours of travel, whether via plane or car rides, should be postponed as they can increase your risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or formation of blood clots deep into the vein, which could be fatal.
- Women who are taking birth control pills or are undergoing hormone replacement therapy should temporarily stop before sclerotherapy as they can also increase the risk of DVT. Other birth control methods should be explored over this period.
Call us at (619) 420-1840 today to learn more about sclerotherapy and how it can help improve the appearance of your unsightly varicose and spider veins today!