The exact cause of varicose veins is largely unknown. Some say that it runs in families while others pinpoint lifestyle factors such as nutrition and immobility as the main culprits. Being overweight and hormonal shifts (such as during pregnancy and menopause) are also thought to influence the appearance of leg veins.
Although no one’s sure yet about what really causes the appearance of those knobby, twisted bluish leg veins, there are steps that you can take to reduce their appearance or prevent them from occuring in the first place. We have outlined them below!
* Make a conscious effort to move a lot. You do not have to enroll in CrossFit nor train for marathons. The takeaway here is to do something that will help improve leg circulation such as walking to work or using the stairs instead of the elevator.
* If you are overweight or obese, take steps to lose the extra pounds. Excess weight can add pressure to the leg veins.
* Raise your legs above the level of your heart when sitting or sleeping. This will improve leg circulation.
* Avoid prolonged periods of standing or sitting. If you can’t do that, then take short walks to compensate. Long periods of immobility can weaken the walls and valves of your leg veins resulting to increased venous pressure.
* If you’re a woman and prone to the appearance of leg veins, consider looking for alternatives to hormonal birth control pills. The use of hormonal birth control methods is closely linked to the appearance of leg veins.
* Wear compression hose if you’re noticing early signs of varicose veins.
Varicose Vein Treatment at Nowak Aesthetics
The aforementioned steps can help prevent the appearance of varicose veins or stop new ones from forming. However, seeking medical treatment may be advisable once they have become painful or have severely affected your confidence due to their appearance.
If you’d like to learn more about varicose vein treatments, we encourage you to explore your options today. Call us at (619) 420-1840 or fill out our contact form to schedule your private consultation. We’d love to hear from you!